Saturday, September 1, 2007

Black Friday: Ranting Re: Rodney

I can't even put myself in the "I would"/"I wouldn't" mindset.

I'd like to think not, but it's not my world. Maybe I would. But not everybody would, and there are known penalties for those who do. And that's the key.

I mean, I am as "understanding" of Rodney as I am of Merriman.

If it's cheating, it's cheating, whether you are a young guy trying to dominate the league from the get-go, or an older guy trying to come back.

It either IS or IS NOT something for the league to stamp out. I never got on much of a soapbox about it before, be it Bonds, Merriman, or whoever (oh and yes, HGH may as well be steroids, if you ask me.)

But the point is, I believe it is something to stamp out. Rodney's penalty has to be part of that. As Rodney said, no excuses.

But if Rodney needed HGH to come back from an injury, he might be just one more injury from the end of the line... and I don't mind that a fan favorite might have to leave the game sooner.

These guys don't owe us that screwed up of a mindset. If it's a matter of "heal fast or be cut," it's going to be the same story elsewhere as well. My guess is with Rodney it's not the money driving it, or the couple more years on the field, it's the game and the winning.

So what can I say? I AM like a Bonds fan or a Merriman fan in a way.

I mean, I don't say "It's no big deal." I say "Do the crime, do the time" (a 4 week suspension.) I also say boot his ass if there's any kind of pattern.

But I wish I didn't.

I also say I understand totally that I am no better... only that even the weakest are strengthened when uncertaintly of outcome is removed. So, were I in that position, and were Rodney a higher character guy than me, I might do the higher character thing, because I saw what happened to Harrison (et al.)

That's a fancy way to say that Rodney might be a fantastic "high character guy" who got busted his first time out -- doesn't matter, from that perspective. The game's bigger than him. He's no longer a high-character guy. His record's got a blot.

I hope he spends the rest of his career clean, and this is a one-time, really hugely embarassing eff-up. I also hope (and actually, I think this is the case,) that it's about love of the game rather than a need for the money.

But allow me to speak directly to Mr. Harrison for a moment:

Dude, if it's about love of the game... well, just love it a little less. Especially when Dr. Feelgood is around. So maybe you recover a little slower now. Maybe you don't recover fast enough for the Pats anymore. Maybe you don't recover fast enough for the NFL anymore.

Then that's nature's way of telling you to go home.

Now don't get me wrong, you would be going with the love of every Pats fan who ever saw you pick off Satan Manning, or put a shoulder into a receiver across the middle. But if it/when it does come down to that? Don't do it again on our account. Let us whine and moan on our little fan boards til the cows come home... and just take off somewhere to catch some fish.

Now, if it IS about the money? Come on man. Less love, but same idea applies.

One caveat... I'd like to spend this morning crowing about how our guy Rodney's different, splitting hairs, etc. Don't get me wrong... I just can't.

He did the crime... part of "doing the time" is that guys like us that WANT to sing his praises can't. Just can't, unless we're idiots. It's an awkward position.

HEY, Rodney, here is the deal: I will never know the physical pain you guys go through for the career, the glory, and yes, the money.

You might never get that guys making 25, 50, 100 grand a year... are WANTING to defend you, a multimillionaire trying to extend his career...but we can't. We just can't do it.

I don't want to make a big deal about it, and can't wait until blogs touching on Rodney will be touching on a game-changing hit or interception. But right now, dude, that part - not being able to argue your case? That part kind of sucks.

See you in 5 weeks.